You are here
We are the Environment Agency. We protect and improve the environment. Acting to reduce the impacts of a changing climate on people and wildlife is at the heart of everything we do. We reduce the risks to people, properties and businesses from flooding and coastal erosion.
We protect and improve the quality of water, making sure there is enough for people, businesses, agriculture and the environment. Our work helps to ensure people can enjoy the water environment through angling and navigation.
We look after land quality, promote sustainable land management and help protect and enhance wildlife habitats. And we work closely with businesses to help them comply with environmental regulations. We can’t do this alone.
We work with government, local councils, businesses, civil society groups and communities to make our environment a better place for people and wildlife.
Of course, none of this will be possible without the professionalism and dedication of our staff. We’re committed to helping our people to find new ways of working and to maintain our focus on creating a better place for people and wildlife.
Why work for us
There are a range of benefits available when you work with us.
Pay and pension
• a competitive salary
• a generous career average pension scheme
• holiday allowance related to grade and length of service, rising from 25 or 27 days to 30 days per year, plus 8 statutory public and bank holidays (pro-rata for part-time employees)
• maternity, paternity and adoption leave scheme
• leave for examinations, approved studies, public duties, special or reserve forces, environmental work, trade union representatives and health and safety representatives
• a range of flexible working options, including flexi-time - these depend on business needs, but our aim is to help you achieve a positive work-life balance
Health and wellbeing
• occupational health benefits, including counselling and advisory service, eye care service and access to Help (our employee assistance service)
• interest free loans for season tickets and/or bicycles and safety equipment
• childcare vouchers scheme
• subsidised sports and social clubs
• many other rewards, including shopping, leisure, fitness, finance and travel benefits and discounts