You are here
How to find the right apprentice for your business
Finding the perfect candidate to fill your vacancy comes from searching and advertising in the right places. Only then will you be able to target the students or recent graduates with the right level of training who are studying the subjects that are relevant to your business.
So, how do you find a great apprentice, and what’s the best way to interview them?
How to find the right people
Utilising recruitment partners is the most effective way to find apprentices in today’s market. There are plenty of students out there looking for opportunities, but they often come to specialists to put them in touch with the best positions that align with their career goals and aspirations.
Secondly, it is important to utilise the best job boards where students are looking for vacancies. Using our platform, you will have access to some of the top candidates available.
How to review an application
Reviewing all applications can be a lengthy process. Deciding which people are best suited for your vacancy can be challenging and for many employers, this often comes down to subjects studied, volunteer work, or grades. But, this may change when you meet the candidate in person and discover that they don’t have the right attitude or behaviour for your organisation. This is why you should aim to broaden your pool of talent and try to keep your mind as open as possible when looking at applications.
When reviewing the candidates that have applied to your vacancy, remember:
- Take your time, it is important to find the right people, so invest in learning more about the applicants.
- Look at previous work experience and consider the transferable skills they may have gained.
- Keep an open mind and don’t fall into the trap of hiring people similar to those that you have before, challenge your unconscious biases.
Our top interviewing tips
When interviewing people with less experience in the working world, it is important to help them relax and set them up for success. We can help you to interview them effectively, here are our top tips for interviewing your potential apprentice.
- It is important to make sure you are asking the right questions that discuss their motivators and bring out their personality. If you don’t, it is unlikely you will be able to recognise their true potential.
- Focus on competency-based questions, so that they can apply the experience they do have to the situations you are describing. Asking them about technical ability may find them feeling incapable of the job when a lot of it will be learning while they are in position.
- Ask them what their motivations are for applying to your company. This will allow them to offer their knowledge of the business and explain the key drivers for their application.
- Ask them if they have any questions. Interviews are a two-way street and you should encourage your candidate to learn more about the business before joining, to ensure it is the right position for them.
Recruitment processes are crucial for hiring the best people that are available on the market. It can be as simple as altering your interviewing technique or using a recruitment partner to get in touch with the right talent pools for your business.
Advertise your apprenticeship opportunities with Page Talent today.